Neutral Bay is situated on the traditional land of the Cammeraygal people. The name Neutral Bay dates back to shortly after the arrival of the first fleet. Governor Arthur Philip designated the area as a ‘neutral harbour’ meaning that foreign ships would anchor here - a safe distance from Sydney Cove.
By the beginning of the 20th century, Neutral Bay and Cremorne were becoming a hub for homes built in the Arts and Crafts architectural style, many of which can still be seen today.
These images are courtesy of Historical Services Stanton Library and are a wonderful glimpse into the area’s past.
Heading home: ‘Waringa’ ferry on Neutral Bay, looking towards Kurraba Point in around 1880. The Port Jackson and Manly Ferry Company’s repair and maintenance yard can be seen in the distance.
A Royal welcome: Military Road, Neutral Bay Junction
Crowds line the streets to see Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to Australia in 1956. A documentary made about the Queen’s trip, The Queen in Australia, was the first colour film made in the country.
A city in construction: View south west to Sydney Harbour Bridge from Neutral Bay
This image, taken in 1937, shows a stone quarry that operated in the area. It was later redeveloped by North Sydney Council and is now Forsyth Park.
Written in history: Nutcote, Kurraba Point
Children’s author and illustrator May Gibbs lived and worked in Neutral Bay and at Nutcote, her lovely harbourside home in Kurraba Point. This image shows her in her garden with her two beloved Scotch Terriers.
All images are courtesy of Historical Services Stanton Library